Video is an effective marketing tool for many businesses today, particularly with the rise of TikTok and Instagram Reels. If you’ve been considering adding video content to help you market your business, now is the time to do it!
Considering the average person watches over 90 minutes of video content daily, it’s now one of the most effective tools to boost your online presence and engagement by getting you in front of your audience. Studies show that consumers retain just 10% of a message when it is presented in writing, compared to a 95% retention rate when watching the same message in video format.
Not only is video an engaging medium for your audience, but it also adds a human element to your brand. People do business with people, so choosing to be a faceless business probably won’t help you in getting to where you want to go. Video is continuing to rise in popularity, so if you want to stand out from the crowd and reach new customers, you need to jump on the trend.
Video content doesn’t have to be expensive!
While it can feel daunting, overwhelming, or appear expensive, this doesn’t have to be the case.
According to research, users prefer raw and authentic content, which means you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars creating videos for your business. In some instances, this may be beneficial if you are working on a large promotional campaign, but for everyday content, you need not worry.
Nowadays, you can create a great video in minutes using only your phone! Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok have made editing easy and accessible within their apps. However, you can also use an app such as InShot to add transitions or voiceovers, or Canva to add a pretty background or frame to capture your audience’s attention.
Which social media platforms you should focus on
When it comes to creating video for your business, think about the end goal. Who is your audience? What is their age, demographic, and key interests? What social media platform are they most likely to use? (You can learn more about how to effectively communicate with your audience here.)
For example, creating TikTok videos that have no relevance to your audience or brand, just because it’s a trending platform, won’t get you very far. You need to be specific in what type of video content you create, and where you publish it, to ensure it’s going to be seen by your potential clients.
What types of videos you could create
There are many different types of videos you should create, from livestreams and stories, to reels and TikToks, to longer form Facebook and Instagram TV (IGTV) videos. Again, it’s important to think back to your audience and the type of content you think they’re most likely to consume.
Here’s a few examples of some types of video content you can produce:
- Behind the scenes
- Video testimonials from a client
- A walk through of your work space
- A demonstration of your product or service
- Introducing yourself
- Sharing your story and why you developed your business
- Value adding tips and tricks
- Educational and informative content
Other video tips
Here’s some other tips to help you get started:
- Consider adding captions or subtitles to your videos. Most people consume video with the sound off, and you can now easily add captions directly into most social media platforms
- Repurpose your videos for other platforms. While we don’t recommend directly sharing a Tik Tok or Reels video on another platform (due to copyright restrictions), you can save the content you filmed to create a brand new video with different music or a voiceover, or expand on an idea you shared in a 15 second reel to make a new, longer video
- Reshare your videos to your stories to increase views
- Embed your videos into your email newsletter for more engagement and interest
- Add a call-to-action to your video captions. What is it that you want your audience to do as a result of watching your video?
- Film with a clean background that isn’t too distracting, and make the most of any natural lighting
- Put your phone on a mount or tripod to achieve the best result. You can also put your phone on airplane mode to avoid any distractions while you are filming
When it comes to creating video content for your business, you are limited only by your imagination! Whatever type of video you want to create, it’s important to consider your audience, and what message you want your video to send.